The OHL Cup is a showcase of the top 20 teams from across Ontario and the United States.
The GTHL will again host the event at Scotiabank Pond and Mattamy Athletic Centre from March 15-21, 2016. A revised tournament structure in effect for 2016 is explained below.
Click here to view the weekly Minor Midget AAA team rankings leading up to the 2016 OHL Cup.
Weekly rankings are determined by a panel of Ontario Hockey League Central Scouting staff and represent the top teams competing to play in the annual year-end event.
OHL Cup Structure
The 2016 OHL Cup continues to showcase 20 teams from across Ontario and the United States, with 15 spots guaranteed through league competition compared to 17 in previous years.
Overall, the 15 guaranteed spots include:
- four semi-finalists from the Scotiabank GTHL Playoffs;
- four teams that place first to fourth at the Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA) Championship;
- three clubs from the ALLIANCE (champion, finalist and winner of a best-of-three Semi-Final Wild Card Series to be played between losers of the two league semi-finals);
- two United States entries;
- one Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO) representative; and
- one Northern Ontario Hockey Association (NOHA) representative.
The 2016 OHL Cup will feature five Wild Card teams, compared to three in previous years, as determined by a series of five Wild Card Play-In games on Tuesday, March 15. Also new in 2016, two of the original eight Wild Card spots will be reserved for GTHL clubs and one for the winner of the OMHA SCTA Consolation Game^.
Overall, the 10 teams in the Wild Card Play-In games include:
- two GTHL teams determined by a Wild Card Play-In series between the four teams eliminated from the first round of the Scotiabank GTHL Playoffs;
- two OMHA teams (fifth place finisher at the OMHA Championship and winner of SCTA Consolation Game);
- one ALLIANCE team that loses the Semi-Final Wild Card Series; and
- five teams named by the Tournament Selection Committee based on regular season, playoff, and tournament play.
Specific matchups and times of play will be determined by random draw on Monday, March 14, 2016.
^The OMHA SCTA Consolation Game will feature two teams that lost in the SCTA Tournament Semi-Final. The OMHA teams eligible for this matchup will be determined annually based on the league not hosting the OMHA Championship.
- 10 teams will take part in a one-game, “win and you’re in” matchup prior to the start of round-robin play on the afternoon that the tournament begins.
- Wild card play-in matchups and home/away seeding will be decided through a random draw prior to the tournament.
- The five winners from the Wild Card Play-In games will advance to the OHL Cup round-robin. These five teams will not begin their OHL Cup schedule until the second day of tournament action.
Visit OHLCup.ca for more information.