The puck drops on Period 1 of the GTHL Game Plan on October 7, meaning that GTHL teams will finally hit the ice. It’s been over 200 days since the GTHL season came to a halt and the League is excited to welcome players back. While traditional League play will not be operating during Period 1, teams will now be able to participate in intrasquad 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 style play.
The style of play in these scrimmages may look a little different from what players are traditionally used to. Here’s how it’s going to work U12 to U18:
- The team of 20 players will be divided into two teams of 10 (1 goaltender and 9 players)
- No intentional physical contact will be permitted
- Teams will play two 22 minute run time periods
What about the rules of the game? Well, those will look a little different as well.
- No faceoffs. The home team will have first possession during the first period, while the visiting team will have first possession during the second period
- Icing and offside will result in a change in puck possession
- Penalities will result in a penalty shot
Players U7 to U11 will have all the same rules as above but will instead have a buzzer system implemented for line changes. Rules will also be modified for cross-ice and half-ice hockey (U7 to U9).
Click here for the full outline of rules for 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 play at all age groups.