The road to the OHL Cup Powered by Under Armour is always one that’s full of surprises. Just last year, it was two wild card teams who met in the championship final. What’s predicted to happen often rarely does, including who ends up playing a Wild Card Play-In Game.
With five teams already determined, the remaining five are set to be announced on Tuesday, March 6 by the OHL Cup selection committee. Here’s what we know so far:
Signed, Sealed, Clinched
- The Toronto Marlboros, Mississauga Reps, Jr. Canadiens, and Vaughan Kings were all awarded a tournament spot after reaching the semi-finals in the Scotiabank GTHL Playoffs
- The York Simcoe Express, Guelph Gryphons, Oakville Rangers, and Barrie Jr. Colts (OMHA) were all granted spots after placing in the top four at the OMHA Championships
- The London Jr. Knights and Brantford 99ers (ALLIANCE) also clinched after making it to the ALLIANCE playoff finals. The winner of the Cambridge Winter Hawks vs. Sun County Panthers series will take the third ALLIANCE spot
- Elite Hockey and TPH will represent the two spots for teams from the United States
- The Northern Ontario Hockey Association (NOHA) will act as the representative from NOHA
- The Thunder Bay Kings (HNO) will represent the one spot granted for HNO
Into the Wild
- The Qunite Red Devils were granted a Wild Card Play-In Game after placing fifth at the OMHA Championships
- The losing team of the Cambridge Winter Hawks vs. Sun Country Panthers series will play a Wild Card Play-In Game
- The winner of the Mississauga Senators vs. Don Mills Flyers play-in series will take part in a Wild Card Play-In Game
- The winner of the Mississauga Rebels vs. Toronto Titans play-in series will also play a Wild Card Play-In Game
- The Grey-Bruce Hylanders will play a Wild Card Play-In Game after winning the SCTA consolation game
The final five teams selected to play a Wild Card Play-In Game will be announced on Tuesday, March 6. Home and away teams for each game will also be determined at this time. Tune into the GTHL Facebook and Instagram pages starting at 6:30 p.m. to see who the final five teams will be.