Top 10 Outdoor Hockey Moments
As is now tradition, New Year’s day plays host to the NHL’s Winter Classic. With the the contest between the Candiens and Bruins upon us, we look at some of the best outdoor experiences in hockey history.
10. Ball hockey – Anytime, any weather. Rounding up some friends to play on the street never gets old.
9. Outdoor Women’s Classic – Sure it hasn’t happened yet, but the game between the NWHL’s Boston Pride and the CWHL’s Les Canadiennes will make history on January 31st.
8. The 2014 Stadium Series as Dodger Stadium – Outdoor hockey in California? That happened.
7. The 2012 OUA Outdoor Classic – Canadian university puck got a taste of fresh air hockey when Brock University’s men’s and women’s teams took on Waterloo and UOIT respectively.
6. The 2003 Heritage Classic – The Oilers and Canadiens faced off in the first regular-season outdoor game in NHL history.
5. The 2001 Cold War game – Before outdoor games were popular, Michigan State and the University of Michigan played in front of 75, 544 at Spartan Stadium.
4. Playing on the backyard rink – It takes a lot of time and effort to get just right, but it’s totally worth it.
3. The 2008 Winter Classic – Remember Crosby going backhand shelf in the shootout? Of course you do.
2. The 2014 Winter Classic – 105, 491 spectators. Wow.
1. Playing on the pond – It’s the Canadian experience, and it’s awesome.