GTHL Top Prospects By the Numbers
Heading into the tenth rendition of the GTHL Top Prospects Game, the event has seen over 350 prospects take to the ice – many becoming household names only a few short years later. While much of the hard work is yet to come for these young stars, the GTHL Top Prospects Game, Powered by Under Armour offers a first glimpse of what the players are capable of.
“Every level you get higher, the triangle gets narrower, and the players get better,” celebrity coach Wendel Clark explained at last year’s event. “You [players] just have to figure out if they like it or they love it.”
Clark will be making his seventh appearance behind the bench at the 10th annual GTHL Top Prospects Game, Powered by Under Armour.
- The Toronto Marlboros lead the pack in players represented at GTHL Top Prospects games. A total of 86 Marlboros players have participated over ten games
- Ten sets of brothers have participated in the event over its ten renditions, including four sets of twins
- The 2018 game will feature three 2004-born players amongst the 2003-age group – Shane Wright (Don Mills Flyers), Adam Fantilli (Toronto Red Wings), and Lane Hinkley (Vaughan Kings)
- Wendel Clark has made the most appearances behind the bench as a celebrity coach, coaching at seven of the ten games
- Four GTHL Top Prospects alumni have been drafted first overall in the OHL Priority Selection – Ryan Merkley (2016), David Levin (2015), Jakob Chychrun (2014), and Connor McDavid (2012)
- 36 of the 40 players who participated in the 2017 GTHL Top Prospects game were selected at the 2018 OHL Priority Selection
- Over 65% of event alumni have played in the OHL
- 76 GTHL Top Prospects alumni have been drafted into the NHL
- 20 have been drafted into the NHL in the first round
- 17 were drafted at the 2018 NHL Entry Draft
- Over 20 event alumni are eligible for the upcoming 2019 NHL Entry Draft, including projected first overall pick Jack Hughes
Click here to purchase tickets to the 2018 GTHL Top Prospects Game, Powered by Under Armour.